Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sucker Punched

Have you ever been sucker punched? I felt like I had been yesterday when we found out our "news." We were sitting in that doctors office waiting for him to give us good news. To tell us that SOMETHING could be done to help our child.

The doctor could barely look us in the eyes...he didn't want to tell us that our son would never be NORMAL. Jerry and I have dreamed of giving DJ a mustang when he turned 16 so I asked the doc if he would be able to drive. The answer was a very definitive NO, NEVER. That was the sucker punch.

NEVER drive???? So scratch the mustang..no big deal in the big picture but what about driving himself to work, driving his pregnant wife to the hospital, driving his family around..I know they are all menial things but they are things that we all take for granted every day.

Standing in that doctor's office I broke down. It literally felt like all the air was sucked out of my body..I couldn't breathe. It's just one of the joys of panic attacks but this one was rough. I finally pulled myself together enough to go check out and we leave.

Yesterday I was an emotional wreck..I just couldn't pull myself together. By the end of the day I was sick from all the crying and the roller coaster of emotions but today I'm a little better.

DJ has a beautiful spirit and a real zest for life. He takes such joy in the little things. He is truly amazing at soccer...hey, I need a sticker that says my blind kid can kick your kids ass in soccer lol. He's good at tball, great in school, and overall a pretty good kid. He has his moments but who doesn't?

I know he will do great things and he won't let a little thing like not being able to see stand in his way! He will brighten peoples day, he'll still be my sweet little boy, and he may even inspire people.

Jerry and I have decided that he is to be treated no differently than he was before. We are not going to treat him as if he is disabled. Just like with the adhd...he doesn't know why he takes medicine every day, he just takes it and goes on his merry little way.

I know things are going to be crazy around here for awhile as we all adjust so any thoughts or prayers would be greatly appreiciated!

5 comments:

Sarahviz said...

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Jaime said...

Thank you so much!

LivingLifeBackwards said...

That sucks, really sucks! Remember a Dr. doesn't know everything! Keep up those prayers and I'll be praying for you too.

Jaime said...

Thank you for your prayers...You're right doctors don't know everything but I finally feel like we have a clear diagnosis. He's had eye problems since he was around 6 months old..I'm just really pissed that of the 15 or so times we've been to the eye doc that nobody caught it!!

jackie Hauser said...

Im so sorry about your news but I know that kid is not gonna let anything stop him and you will all be in my prayers..God Bless you

Powered By Blogger